Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Pertinent, If Unexpected, Question

“I need to ask you . . . ,” the question began innocently enough as I recently closed my presentation regarding our proposed work in Africa to our church of 19 years and opened the session for questions. What followed, however, was anything but conventional. Mary, one of our senior sisters, mother of one of our elders, wife of a former elder, a godly woman whose ministry is praying for others, had literally stepped forward from her seat in the second row, taken both of my forearms in her hands, looked me in the eyes, and asked her “question”, “I need to ask you . . . for your forgiveness.”

“When I first heard that you wanted to go to Africa, I was very much against it,” she continued. “I told you so, and even wrote you a letter saying that I was sure that you had been called by God to be with us, and that you shouldn’t leave us because he still wanted you here. But I was wrong. I now understand why you want to go, and you need to go. What you want to do is needed and right, and you should go, and you will have my blessing, support and encouragement.”

Mary had from the beginning opposed our thoughts of moving to Africa, and had, as she confessed, even written us a letter explaining that God had brought us to Redlands, and therefore we must stay in Redlands. I had come across the letter the night before as we sorted through papers, tossing, saving, packing. But now Mary saw things in a different light.

She now understood the danger HIV presents to many African peoples, that we might play a meaningful role in helping some communities escape or recover from the scourges of this disease, that it would be good, perhaps even the will of God Almighty that we would move to Africa to engage this ministry, even as he had brought us to Redlands. So Mary would support us in this ministry, encourage us, pray for us. Would we forgive her for having opposed us?

Mary’s “question” and confession were no doubt more helpful in galvanizing the support of our congregation behind our new efforts than her own opposition had been in encouraging similar reluctance in others. Our answer was, “of course”, and the outpouring of encouragement and well-wishing from so very many of you has been very greatly appreciated as we make these transitions. Leaving has proven much more difficult than we anticipated, and your encouragement has increased our appreciation for you while making our going a little easier. Thank you all, and especially Mary, very, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment